The wait is finally over! Microsoft released the Production version of the Remote Server Administration Tool on 8/19/2015 for Windows 10. In case you’re interested in checking it all out the release of the tools comes in conjunction with Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 3. A couple of caveats, remote server administration tools is only going to work on full versions of Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise and there is not currently any support for Windows RT.. If you had installed any prior release of this tool before installing this latest version, you’ll have to uninstall it. You may also observe that Microsoft left out most of the IP address management tools. DHCP control is not included, and MS has stated that admins may use Powershell to administer DHCP servers. We’ll see this re-added in the not too distant future.
I had a Small issue getting this to work as I’d Attempted installing the Windows 10 RSAT Preview which was non-functional from Windows 10 Enterprise’s production release. It didn’t appear under the upgrades for me, when I looked for the preview to uninstall. Thinking I was ok to move, I installed the newest version of RSAT but noticed it was not working, and the Remote Server Administration Tool features did not look on or off. I re-installed the RSAT tools, uninstalled it, and discovered KB 2693643 beneath the Installed Updates. This time the features showed up and the tools were functional under the MMC console.
Install (RSAT) Remote Server Administration Tools on Windows 10
How to set up Remote Server Administration Tools on Windows
Additionally, the RSAT tools allow you to manage:
Installed server functions and features
Added Powershell Functionality
RSAT can simply be installed on Enterprise and Windows Pro Editions, it isn’t supported on editions or the home.
I will walk through the steps to put in RSAT on a Windows 10 computer.
Update: I also included steps to put in RSAT PowerShell.
Step 1: Download the RSAT install bundle
1st step is to download the RSAT install package.
You can download the install here
RECOMMENDED: SOLARWIND ADMIN BUNDLE (FREE TOOL)
- This is a bundle of 3 FREE Tools for Active Directory.
- Bulk import users too
- Inactive Computer Account Removal Tool
- Simplify management and keep Active Directory protected With this particular trio of tools that are FREE.
- Get Your FREE Copy of SolarWinds Admin Bundle
Step 2: Run the RSAT installer
- Double click on the install file to run the installer
- Select”I accept” on the permit terms
- Click on resume
When the computer reboots the RSAT tools should be installed. At one stage add the extra feature and you had to enter Programs and Characteristics but it looks like that is currently done automatically. You can confirm the attributes have been inserted with step 3.
Step 3: Confirm RSAT set up
- In the search box type”Programs and Features” Select “Turn Windows features off or on”
- From the Windows Features box, scroll down and find”Remote Server Administration Tools. You should see all of the resources for AD, DHCP, DNS and so forth.
- Now I can Begin utilizing the software, I hunted for Active Directory and that I will see the tools I need to remotely manage Active Directory.
Should you run into set up issues let me know, I will be glad to help.
Step 2: Run Control
In Powershell enter this command and hit enter. The various RSAT tools will start to install.
Get-WindowsCapability -Name RSAT* -Online Add-WindowsCapability –On line
You are done. I find the PowerShell much simpler.